Sunday, September 30, 2012

Social Sewing: recap and more dates


Yesterday I got together with some other local sewers for some Social Sewing. Twelve of us turned up at GJs, projects in hand, for a fun day of sewing and chatting (in approximately equal measure). 

   

The large tables were perfect for tracing patterns and cutting out fabric, so quite a bit of that was done. Sewing up or modifying muslins was also a popular activity, since there were many other sewers on hand to assist with pinning and offering opinions. Correct me if I'm wrong girls, but I believe the only finished item of the day was Mel's beautiful Franke vest?

The afternoon also turned into a little bit of a Cambie-fest, with at least one being cut out, one being sewn, and I think 5 different people trying on Helen's's beautiful cambie (please correct me if that number is wrong) - one of the the bonuses of catching up with sewers is that you don't always have to make something blindly without trying it on first!


Kat very generously brought along a whole stack of fabric, patterns and thread for us to have for FREE! (see above pic, and that's mid raid by us) I know, so generous!!! I came home with some absolutely gorgeous striped shirting and some spools of thread.


Above is nearly all of our group - sadly Heather had to leave early and this pic was snapped just as we were being kicked (protesting) out of GJs at 4 o'clock when they closed. From left to right: Helen, Kristy, Alison, Oanh, Mel, Claire, Belle, Sarah, Kat, Me, Danika.

People were enthusing about doing it again by lunchtime, so we've organised two more dates to get together for social sewing, so if you're in the area we'd love for you to join us! We will be catching up on the Saturdays the 27th October and 17th November. All the other details are still the same, but just a recap:


  • LocationGJs Discount Fabrics, in Brunswick- they have a big workroom with big tables and lots of floor space, power points and light. You would need to bring your own machine.
  • Time: 9-4 (their opening hours, but you can come for as much or as little of that as you like)
  • Cost: $10 per person (paid to GJs when you arrive)


  • And as last time, if you're planning on coming please let me know either by comment or email so I can keep GJs in the loop as to how many of us to expect. I look forward to seeing you there!

    6 comments:

    1. That looks like it was oodles of fun!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for organising Rachel, I had a blast! Looking forward to the next one already :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Lovely to meet you, Rachel, and everyone else, even if I did not quite manage to introduce myself to everybody! I'll definitely be at future ones (hopefully with more projects ready to sew up)!

      ReplyDelete
    4. What a fabulous idea! Looks like the perfect venue as well.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I just re-read this post after reading Oanh's Blog Hop... that's why GJs looks so big and empty now! They don't have quilts on the walls anymore!!

      ReplyDelete

    Comments make me smile :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...